Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My Brother, My Hero


My older brother Bradley has been serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for the last 22 months. He is currently serving in the San Jose, Costa Rica mission. My brother absolutely loves it. He loves the members and teaching the people about Jesus Christ. He has a positive attitude and is such a hard worker. Bradley is a great example to me and he makes me want to do better and become a better person. My brother is amazing!


As I reflect back on my childhood and my teenage years that I spent with my brother, I remember all the years we spent together. I remember the good times and all the fun we had. Don't get me wrong, my brother could be a punk to me sometimes but he also was my best friend.

I remember when we were little we would play outside together, play video games, and have late night TV watching time. I would also play card or board games with him but those weren't as fun because he would ALWAYS win, I would just hope to get second place. A funny experience I remember happening was when I was about 6 or 7. My brother told me to come out in the garage with him. He had a handheld rake and shovel. He told me that if we picked at the cement and broke off pieces along the cracks, it would make the edges sparkle. When our mom found us some time later, the garage no longer had straight lines in the cement, but dents taken out all over the ground. Not my brother's best idea.


But boy do I miss him. Bradley is two years older than me and a big part of my life. It was hard for me when he left for college and also when he left to Costa Rica. However, I knew that he was doing the right thing by going on a mission. I am so glad that he gets to send us emails weekly. We get to read about how he is doing and what is going on in the area he is serving. Missionaries also get to call home on Mother's Day and Christmas. It was so great to hear my brother's voice this last Christmas, he definitely has a Spanish accent went he talks.

Now he has two months left in his mission and let me tell you, I can hardly wait! On one hand these past two years seemed like they went on for forever and on the other, they seemed to fly by. It's crazy that two years has gone by. Two years ago I was 17 and a junior in high school. Now I am 19 and a freshman in college! I cannot wait for him to join me at BYU. I don't have any siblings here with me so it will be fun to have him come here. He better not find a girlfriend right off the bat though... I want to spend time with him for a while first! Fingers crossed!

I love you Elder Montierth, I'll see you in two months. March 29th!

Just a couple pictures from his mission....


Rice and Beans... what he eats basically everyday






This picture makes me grateful that I live in America

This one too



No comments:

Post a Comment